Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Train Ride to the City

Today I went into NYC to meet two friends and experience some of the excitement of the city at Christmas time. I took the Long Island Railroad into the city and of course sketched on the way. Two people posed for me in transit. Of course they had no idea they were my models. I was sitting far enough away from them that they didn't notice and the high backs on the seats hid me pretty well. I used a combination of watercolors and watercolor pencils for these.



I did another sketch but I have to finish adding the color. My friends met me before I could finish it completely. I hope to finish it tonight and post it tomorrow.

7 comments:

  1. You amaze me. You are so prolific...and good at it too. :) these are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful both of these portrait sketches are, Joan. Each one is better than the last!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cris - Thanks! I like sketching on the train. It makes the long trip a bit less boring.

    Sherry - Thank you. These two came out looking fairly close to what the people looked like. The last one looks just like him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent sketches Joan!! It's wonderful using them as models... they can't go anywhere !! LOL I love how you painted the man! ... and .Somehow I missed your previous sketches of the Christmas trees...wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Hilda! I didn't sketch anyone on the ride home. The train was too crowded and it would be too obvious. I don't mind people knowing that I'm sketching but that is a few too many people. lol You know what those trains are like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joan - you are so talented - wow - these portraits our outstanding and to think you managed to do that on a train ride. Hope you had a lovely time in the city. I can only imagine the hustle and bustle in that city. Take care and have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Debbie - Thanks. The hustle and bustle is fun, but the cold sort of was a bit much.

    ReplyDelete