Thursday, December 12, 2013

Grand Central Terminal Sketch

As I said yesterday, I went into NYC to meet friends. I took the train to Penn Station and then walked across town to Grand Central Terminal where their train was arriving. Grand Central is such an iconic  location. I had about 35 minutes to sketch so I walked up one of the many sets of stairs and sketched the view looking down into the main room of the terminal where the clock sits on top of the booth in the center. There were crowds of people everywhere. I didn't sketch all of them. LOL Who could.
I did the drawing and most of the color before they arrived, and finished the rest last night after I got home.


Then we went off shopping through all the Christmas booths in Grand Central, then to a very nice lunch, and then shopping at the holiday booths in Bryant Park. It was freezing out! Once the sun went down we were able to stay outside for a while but then it got too cold and we went for coffee so we could be inside. This was my last sketch for the day. I didn't sketch on the train coming home because it was crowded and I didn't want to be that obvious in a crowded car. I like being able to sketch on the train mostly hidden by the high seats.

6 comments:

  1. Oh wow, Joan! I know this might sound odd but this is my all time favorite of your sketches. It reminds me very much of Chicago's Union Station, which I rode to and from daily when I used to work downtown. Something about trains and traveling...old movies and the holidays...I just love the sensation and this piece has captured it beautifully!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sherry! You are so sweet. Places like this always make me think of old movies too with someone always running off down the platform to catch a train...and tearful goodbyes with someone hanging out the train window. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. ....lovely pic, and lovely having friends for Christmas, greetings of the season to you :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. A busy scene to match your busy day but sounded like a good one

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grand Central and Christmas is beautiful. I love your sketch and I'm glad you had fun in the city.

    ReplyDelete