Thursday, July 4, 2019

Happy 4th of July

Happy 4th of July to those who are celebrating here. Today is a special 4th of July. It would have been my mother's 100th birthday. She was a Yankee Doodle Girl loved by all of us. Family was the most important thing and she relished her children and her grandchildren. I miss her every day. Here are a few photos of her.

Mom at age 15.

Mom (left) and her older sister, Mary.

Glamour girl.

Mom and me.

Today my art group (The South Bay Art Association) held our annual Artists on the Lane show. I was helping to run it. We had 67 vendors and a lot of people came out in the heat to see the show and shop. I had a little free time to do a sketch. Our organization's booth was holding a raffle of donated artwork. The proceeds go toward scholarships to local schools.





6 comments:

  1. Great post. Long couple of days for you. A good way to spend the Birthday of the USA and your Mother. She sounds wonderful and was beautiful! We celebrated 3 birthdays today including our oldest, Joanna I’m listening to fireworks as I type. We settled on watching the PBS Fourth and the Salute to America in DC. Loved both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. I missed the fireworks...even on TV. I could hear them being set off in the neighborhood. lol

      Delete
  2. Lovely photos of your mom, Joan. Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post and memory of your mother. I hope the event went well and you all sold lots of art for your fundraiser. Cute sketch of the booth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Val. It was a busy day but not a ton of buyers. We did raise a lot with the raffle.

      Delete