Monday, April 22, 2024

Planting Fields Arboretum - Day 1

My friend, Suzala wanted to go painting last Monday because it was supposed to be such a wonderful day weather-wise. She suggested going back to Camusett Park, but I thought that was too far. I get caught in too much traffic heading east after 3:00 so I prefer to be closer. I suggested going to the Planting Fields Arboretum in Oyster Bay. I told her there should be cherry trees in bloom and buildings too. It was spectacular! I painted this cherry tree with the greenhouse behind it. In addition to my regular watercolors I used watercolor crayons to give this a little more texture.


I moved on to another part of the park after finishing the first painting. This section is a huge open field with several cherry trees at the top. There were so many people who came just to take photos with the cherry trees. There was a bride and groom, several ladies in gowns, and other people dressed nicely and wearing big hats like the woman in this painting.


I finished painting around 3:15 and by the time I left the park I got stuck in traffic heading east. That is a problem I encounter a lot. I didn't get home until nearly 5:30. That's rush hour on Long Island.

Suzala said she was free the next day until about 5 when her first art student arrives and was planning on going back to paint again. I told her I didn't think I was planning to go back to the Arboretum but if I changed my mind I would let her know.



 


4 comments:

  1. Fun to go with a friend. The trees are absolutely lovely and the lady in the hat is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. We had a good time painting together.

      Delete
  2. These beautiful paintings are so much worth the traffic troubles, right? It's nice to see & paint the blooms while they last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, thanks so much. It is sad to see the color is slowly disappearing. I wish it would last longer.

      Delete