Monday, April 15, 2024

Before & During the Eclipse

 The day of the lunar eclipse last Monday, I headed to Sunken Meadow State Park to experience it. I wanted to be around other people, and since it was going to last a while it was important to be someplace with bathrooms. lol I got there early...about 1:00, checked out how the sun was positioned, and went down on the beach. To see the sun and moon meant facing away from the Long Island Sound. Since I was early, I started sketching the view in front of me which is the concession stand up on the boardwalk with a few people sitting in chairs. After the eclipse started I decided not to actually sketch 


 After the eclipse started I decided not to actually sketch the eclipse itself but did do a sketch of a few people watching it happen.


I liked looking through the eclipse glasses. The view was really good that way. I tried to take some photos putting an extra pair of eclipse glasses in front of the lens on my phone. (That's why this photo it is so dark.) It was interesting to watch, but during the last one I saw in California it got dark like sunset. It didn't get much darker here so I was disappointed in that respect.



4 comments:

  1. Your sketches will certainly make this eclipse a memorable moment. I went out in the afternoon and saw it. Certainly was special. It got so dark that the town lights came on and the wind picked up and the air got colder. Quite a special event. Well hope you have a wonderful end to the week. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie. There was a definite drop in the temperature. Enjoy your week!

      Delete
  2. This is great. Love the folks and sketch of the area. We had clouds so quick glimpses. Our dusk to dark light came on and the streetlights. It was dark from the clouds so couldn't see much difference. Got a similar picture the same way. I'm smiling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed seeing it even if it wasn't perfect. It doesn't happen that often. Thanks for stopping and commenting.

      Delete