Sunday, April 21, 2024

City Trip

Last Sunday I made a solo trip into the city. The American Watercolor Society Show was going on at the Salmagundi Club, and it is one of my favorite exhibits. Since I was going in by train I did a sketch on the LIRR going in. This lady had such bright red hair (dyed).


I went in to the city on the 8:20 train which arrived in Penn Station around 9:40. The exhibit didn't open until 1:00, but I had a plan to sketch before it opened. I took the subway down to 14th Street and walked over to Union Square. There was a beautiful cherry tree in bloom right by one of the subway entrances in the park, so I sat myself down on a bench and started painting.


Then I meandered around Union Square for a little while. There are always vendors selling something, and they were also having some Earth Day events and exhibits. I sat at a table and sketched looking uptown. I included some of the people conversing, some vendors, and a bit of the exhibit booths from the Earth Day celebration. I lasted there until about 2:00 and had just packed up my materials when it started to rain lightly. I ducked into Whole Foods and grabbed a snack (fruit) and waited for the rain to stop.


The AWS show was great! There is always some amazing work...and a few pieces that make me shake my head. I really enjoy seeing paintings by people I know from workshops I've taken, or from following them online. I was a nice ending to my day in the city. By the time I got home it was around 6:30...definitely a full day.






4 comments:

  1. Joan all your sketches are so good. It sounds like you had a lovely art day and just wonderful and so full. It looks definitely like spring has come your way with the flowering cherry trees. Such fun to see your sketches. Have a great week friend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, thanks so much. I'm enjoying all the flowers and the flowering trees right now. Thanks for stopping to visit.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful work. The blooming trees are like the wildflowers here. Can't see enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fun filled day! You picked the right day to be in the city and produced these wonderful sketches. Nice!

    ReplyDelete