Monday, November 27, 2023

Museum of the American Indian Sketches

The Museum of the American Indian has a great collection of artifacts and items from many, many indigenous groups from the Americas. It is also a beautiful building and had once been a US Customs house. My only complaint is the rooms with the artifacts are dim and it is hard to see what you are sketching. But the lighting is probably kept that way to avoid damage to the artifacts. Of course I have an LED light that would have helped but couldn't find it in my backpack...and of course I found it at the end of the day.lol

I began sketching down on the first floor which has some contemporary art. The top sculpture is titled "Ooski" by Jim Schoppert from Juneau, Alaska (from 1982).

Next I did the sculpture on the bottom left by Michael Massie titled "The Look of Confidence was Apparent." The title made me smile. The artist has several similar sculptures made of stone, caribou, and other materials.

After lunch I headed to the second floor. The third piece I sketched is much older...from Arizona in 1890 and is a Quechan or Mohave effigy jar.


There are also some beautiful costumes and pieced of clothing.
This is a Quiche'Maya Dance Outfit from Guatemala (1920-1926). The deer head was interesting too.


There was lots more to sketch but I ran out of time. I'm sure we will be back there again to sketch.




2 comments:

  1. These sketches are wonderful. Fun place to sketch. Applause!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another very productive day for you! Wonderful sketches despite the dimly lit setting. Yes, I do recall that situation when I joined that sketch outing last year.

    ReplyDelete