Thursday, June 15, 2017

New York Botanical Gardens Part I

Sunday at the NY Botanical Gardens they were having a Plein Air Invitational Paint-Out. Many well-known plein air artists from the USA and Canada were scheduled to participate. In addition the regular folk were invited to come and watch and sketch on their own. The NYC Urban Sketchers set their location to the gardens for Saturday, but I would have gone regardless. I had gone last year and spent a lot of time watching the other artists who I have followed online.

Sunday the temperatures were in the 90s, so it sort of slowed me down a bit. I tended to stay where there was shade and not walk far. My first painting was done by the gardens in front of the Conservancy. It is a walled garden with lovely flowers...and lots of people. I put in one figure when there should have been about 10 at any given time. Luckily I had a perfectly shady spot to work from...in truth the shade determined the view I would be sketching.


5 comments:

  1. Gorgeous painting Joan and this sounds like a wonderful event too. So glad you were able to go. Have a super day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie. It is such a beautiful place and it changes all the time.

      Delete
  2. What an incredible piece! There is so much happening here I can see why you would leave out almost all of the people. Well done Joan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I narrowed it down to one person since that was what was there when I first sat down. Thanks so much, Val.

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear that the heat is becoming oppressive, but your painting doesn't show it!

    - Tina

    ReplyDelete