Thursday, June 29, 2017

Astoria Park - Part 3

Urban sketching definitely has its challenges. I had seen two NYC fire engines parked along the river while I was doing the previous sketch. I've been wanting to paint a firetruck for a while but they are usually in the firehouse or racing past. These were sitting still and there were firemen hanging out around them. Of course I sketched out the truck in pencil and started to add a little color when I noticed there were no firemen sitting there any longer. Oh, no!!! You guessed it. They were leaving! I didn't have my phone out and by the time I got it ready for a photo reference they were gone. That is one of the things about urban sketching that makes me crazy...along with a big truck coming and parking between me and my subject. I think I got enough to make it look like a realistic firetruck, unless you are an actual fireman. lol


6 comments:

  1. Lololololol! They have some nerve leaving the scene of a sketch!!!! Lol. However, it looks like you finished beautifully Joan!!! LOVE the buildings as well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hilda. Who ever thought they would up and run off...both trucks no less!

      Delete
  2. Did you say "Scramble" is your middle name? Good reflexes and you got enough to certainly get the point across. I get such a kick sketching all over the place vicariously!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Velvia, you are so kind. I'm glad you enjoy my locations and escapades.

      Delete
  3. Ha ha h, Often only those experienced would notice the difference. Good job under trying conditions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, thanks so much. I've got to go with the flow. lol

      Delete