Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Grant's Tomb Part I

On Saturday the NYC Urban Sketchers met at Grant's Tomb in the city. The weather forecast said a chance of showers but from the way the reports have been wrong lately I took my rain jacket just to be safe. I had just finished this piece when it started to spritz. I figured I would pack up my stuff and head for the sheltered portico on the front of the building. I made it just in time. Two of the other sketchers just put up their umbrellas to finish.


My friend, Mark Leibowitz took this photo of me sketching there which he posted on our NYC Urban Sketching Facebook page with these words.

"When we first got to Grant’s Tomb before the rain started I was sitting next to Joan sketching the building from the same view. The building must have had at least two dozen flags hanging from every possible surface. 
I made the decision to paint the building without the flags. I just left them out completely. Joan included every single one of them. As she wrote in her post on the 17th, “I think I did my quota of flags for a while.” 
Later when we scrambled up the stairs to get out of the rain I took this shot to honor Joan, - the sketching queen of American Flags."







10 comments:

  1. Great photo and sketch! Your flags are great, and so are all the buntings -- even the one flipped back! LOL!

    - Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tina. I'm glad I had a red pen with me for the tiny ones.

      Delete
  2. Love this one Joan!!! I can't imagine painting this without the flags... Awesome work!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilda, thanks. I don't know if the flags are there all the time or if this was unusual.

      Delete
  3. Ah Joan - what a great photo... bless you for your perseverance in painting
    each of the flags. The sketch is certainly excellent as always. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun! Too bad the weather didn't cooperate but you did a great sketch in the time you had before the rain. Congrats 'Flag sketching Queen'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, luckily there was a covered portico where we were able to sit for the rest of the day. We had views that were different than we were expecting. lol

      Delete
  5. Beautiful!!! I love the color the flags bring in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Oty. I think the flags made the scene lively. That's what attracted me.

      Delete