Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Sketching Art on Park Avenue

 Last week the NYC Urban Sketchers combined sketching with observing installed art. New York based artist Carole Feuerman has 9 sculptures displayed along Park Avenue between East 39th and 34th Streets. They are located on the median in the center of the Avenue. The sculptures are hyper realistic and she describes them as "Sea Idylls." Each of them is life-sized or larger, some full bodies and some just part of a person. The statue at East 37 Street is called "Justice" and shows a woman in a bathing suit sitting on top of a chrome sphere that reflects the viewer as well as the street and world around it. I found them wonderful and I regret that I didn't have time to sketch all nine of them.

Below is "Brooke with Beach Ball."


My next sketch was of "Justice" which I referred to above. If you look you can see the tiny selfie I included at the bottom of the sphere.


Below is one of my favorites. Unlike the other sculptures this one is not wearing a bathing suit. 
This is "New York City Slicker." In addition to loving the sculpture, I thought the title was great!


I had only finished 3 of the sculptures before our "show and tell" but wanted to do another one so I stayed after we shared our work and finished another one before heading back to Grand Central Station and the train home.
This is "Survival of Serena."




3 comments:

  1. These are super sketches. The sculptures are so interesting. You did a fine job on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were a lot of fun to sketch, especially sitting in the middle of Park Avenue. lol Thanks!

      Delete
  2. You did a wonderful job on these sculptures knowing the constraints of sketching them where they were situated.

    ReplyDelete