Friday, May 12, 2023

Pink Tree x 2

 

I have been painting our pink trees with watercolors but have been following my friend, Tina Koyama's postings about all her trees in bloom with interest. She has been using watercolor pencils. Originally she was drawing the blossoms with her watercolor (Inktense Pencils) and spritzing the area with water. Recently she started spritzing the page and then adding the color with the pencil. She got a different result each way. I attempted to do the same, spritzing my paper and then adding the color with the watercolor pencils. However in my case I didn't leave it alone. I wanted stronger color so I added additional color over the pencils with my regular palette of watercolors.
Here is the first attempt. You can see the color got away from me in the spritzing on the bottom right.

I did a second sketch across a double page spread in the square Arteza sketchbook I have been using for a project. I am happy with the way both of these came out. Maybe I'll try this method again in the future. Our pink trees are disappearing and all the spring green leaves are opening in their place. I'm sorry to see them go.

 Thanks, Tina, for your inspiration.



2 comments:

  1. I love what you did here, Joan! You got both the texture and the rich color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina. It was a good way to get more texture. I was in the city today and all the pink trees there are now green.

      Delete