Sunday, June 26, 2022

30 x 30 Direct Watercolor - Day 26

 Yesterday I joined the NYC Urban Sketchers in the city. Our location was Thompkin's Square Park in the East Village. This is probably the funkiest part of NYC...where sex, drugs and rock and roll were so prevalent in the 60s. I opted not to sketch inside the park but to focus on the views around the perimeter of the park. Of course I had my Day 26 painting for the 30 x 30 Direct Watercolor Challenge to do. This was probably the hardest painting I've done for the challenge because of all the graffiti all over this building...but I persisted. This is 5 x 7.


It was a hot day (temperatures in the low 90s) so I looked for another spot with shade. This was on Avenue A and 7th Street...a very colorful Latin restaurant.


On that same side of the street on the opposite corner was Lilly's. I didn't quite finish the sketch before we had to head into the park for show and tell. I will repost it when I finish it. The flag is for the Gay Pride Parade that was scheduled for the following day.






2 comments:

  1. Wow, lots of detail for a 5 x 7. You must use a tiny brush for the details. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, but I used the same size brush thru the whole thing.

      Delete