Saturday, June 18, 2022

30 x 30 Direct Watercolor Challenge - Day 18

 Today I joined the NYC Urban Sketchers at a wonderful location. Elizabeth Street Garden is a 1-acre community sculpture garden in the Nolita neighborhood of Manhattan. It is located on Elizabeth Street between Prince and Spring Streets. It is a busy place with a lot of people stopping and enjoying the delights of the garden. There was yoga going on, people enjoying the flowers and the sunshine, people having coffee or lunch, and a collection of urban sketchers enjoying the views. We found out that the city is planning to have the location developed and turned into a 7 story mixed-usage building. The friends of the garden have filed a lawsuit against NYC to stop the destruction of this treasured green space. Hopefully they will succeed!

Here is my Day 18 painting for the 30 x 30 Direct Watercolor Challenge. This is 5 x 7.


I continued sketching in another area in the park.


My third sketch was done on a small balcony and includes two members of our group. It is unfinished, but I plan to finish the left side and add color. I hope to repost it when I finish it.






2 comments:

  1. Beautiful sketches. I hope the group is able to save the park. It looks and sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. It is a shame to think that a place like this that gives so much enjoyment to the community is at risk of being destroyed.

      Delete