Friday, June 10, 2022

30 x 30 Direct Watercolor - Day 10

 My Day 10 Direct Watercolor painting was done at the historic Swezey-Avey House in Yaphank which was built around 1873. I decided to challenge myself even more with this painting. I almost never use a flat brush when I am painting and some artists swear by them. I gave it a try and used it for the entire painting. I'll admit it worked well for the windows and the siding on the building, but for trees and bushes I found it lacking. With architecture painting directly in watercolor is a challenge. I tend to get a bit wonky with it.


On Wednesday night the Patchogue Sketch Club was originally scheduled to sketch outdoors, but the weather report early in the day was forcasting rain in the evening, so Mark opted for an indoor location. He reserved us a table at the back of The Bean, a coffee house in Patchogue. A few people brought something to sketch but I wanted to do the inside of The Bean and some people. The sketch grew a little as I was doing it. I hadn't planned on including my friend, Rosanne (on the left) but that side looked a little empty so I added her and her belongings. If we were there much longer I probably would have added another sketcher on the left. lol


A few of the sketchers had already left when Linda took a photo of her sketch on the big table with two of us still sketching.







3 comments:

  1. Joan both sketches are superb! I think direct painting with buildings would have to be very difficult but you did a great job. I adore your sketch of the coffee shop...you certainly know how to capture the essence of the place and the folks are wonderful. Always love seeing the places you go and the people you are with as well as your lovely art. Take care dear friend and have a super weekend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, thanks so much for your kind words. I really appreciate it! Have a great weekend!!

      Delete
  2. The building/windows is super. The flat brush worked well for that, even the foliage looks good.
    You are amazing at capturing coffee shops and people. Makes me want a lattté.

    ReplyDelete