Saturday, May 7, 2022

Takumen Ramen

Last Friday I joined a few friends for a trip into the city to go to the Winslow Homer exhibit at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. We hit a lot of traffic going into the city so we got there late.  We saw the wonderful Homer exhibit and stayed a while to see a few more things, but then left to go to a Japanese stationary store in Greenpoint, Brooklyn where we spent some time walking around. Our final stop was Takumen, a ramen restaurant in Long Island City. I had been there once before and we've been talking about going back for a long time. With the pandemic we hadn't been able to do that. 

We were there for an early dinner so there were no people blocking my view over the counter and into the kitchen...so I knew I had a good view to sketch. I started sketching before dinner but finished the ink part of the sketch after dinner. I did the watercolor at home.


The Homer exhibit had a lot of his wonderful watercolors. Here are a few.












 

3 comments:

  1. Joan your sketch as always is delightful. Love the fact that you included the waitress behind the bar. Beautiful paintings of Winslow Homer. What is amazing is the way he captured the light and kept the scenes so simple but gorgeous. Thank you for sharing. I hope you have a great Mother's Day tomorrow. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Debbie! I like being able to see into the kitchen in restaurants. The woman was actually the chef and the food was excellent. Yes, looking at the Homer paintings in person was amazing. I hope you have a great Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joan, very cool chef! I’m smiling. I thought the paintings were yours as well an that you had scanned them darker. Evil grin. I really did for a few seconds as they were opening.

    ReplyDelete