Sunday, October 31, 2021

Happy Halloween and Inktober Day 27

Happy Halloween

The NYC Urban Sketchers Zoom group met on Saturday to do Halloween related scenes. A website was provided with links to assorted Halloween references. I found one of an abandoned building and put it in a setting with a spooky sky with a big moon. Then I added a few bats to liven it up a bit. Since this was not done from life it isn't an urban sketch.

I hope your Halloween was fun! 


Here is another Inktober sketch done with a twig and Chinese ink. For those of you who are wondering what kind of twig I'm using, it is just a regular twig that I've let dry out and then sharpened with a razor.  This was done from the dock in West Sayville.

I do have one special twig that was given to me by Kiah Kiean Chng when I took his workshop at the Urban Sketchers Symposium in Chicago. He provided a twig for each of us. He uses a soft twig from Malaysia. I posted a photo below of a few of my twigs. The one he provided is in the middle.




6 comments:

  1. Joan great sketch for Halloween. I adore old abandoned houses...often wonder what their walls could tell us about those who lived there. Your twigs certainly look interesting. I have used bird quills to draw...need to try a twig. Wishing you a happy November. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Debbie! I haven't drawn with a quill yet. I'll have to be on the lookout for feathers. Hope you had a great end to October!

      Delete
  2. Joan, excellent old Halloween house. I love the twig sketches. Lots of imagination today. I’m smiling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jo. Hope your Halloween was great! I went out painting...surprise. lol

      Delete
  3. nice work on the Halloween piece Joan and the stick piece is just super - so amazing what you can do with a stick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Val. I guess you can draw with almost anything.

      Delete