Sunday, February 14, 2016

Happy Valentine's Day

Happy Valentine's Day!!!
For Valentine's Day Jerry got me a bouquet of rainbow roses. The petals are all different shades of pink and purple mixed in the same flower.



I googled them and this is what Wikipedia says about them:
The rainbow rose is a rose that has had its petals artificially coloured. The method exploits the rose's natural processes by which water is drawn up the stem. By splitting the stem and dipping each part in different coloured water, the colours are drawn into the petals resulting in a multicolored rose. With these changes to the rose, it causes them to not live as long as an uncoloured rose.[1][2] Besides roses, other cut flowers like the chrysanthemum, carnation, hydrangea, and some species of orchids can also be colored using the same method.[3]

I'm not sure I like the brightly colored, sort of crayola colors but the ones I have are lovely.

I hope your Valentine's Day is filled with love!!! Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Beautifully drawn! We saw some deep blue orchids yesterday at the art gallery in Smithville. They were a plant, not cut, but were surely dyed as well. Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your shading/blending is so lovely in the rose and leaves.
    I remember at school experimenting with coloring roses with our ink. Sure did impress me. ..red and dark blue! Not pretty at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Sheila!

    Jo, thanks. Too bad they don't last very long.

    Thanks, Julie. LOL Some of the ones I saw were just too odd looking.

    ReplyDelete