Thursday, August 7, 2014

Ink Sketching at the Beach

Like I said in the previous post, I am trying to do some sketching directly in ink. I read an interview with James Richards on the website Wanderarti where among other things he described how he sketches a city scene in ink starting with a picture frame, a line for eye level, and then begins sketching figures in the foreground. It made a lot of sense. Here is the interview if you are interested. http://www.wanderarti.com/busy-city-sketches/
I've been trying to do that a bit in my ink sketches but I've been at the beach instead of in the city.
Here is one sketch that I did that way.


This was not sketched on watercolor paper...just regular sketching paper, so the watercolor isn't quite the same as it would be on better paper. But since I'm experimenting with this process I don't mind.

4 comments:

  1. It looks fabulous and I don't really see much difference in how the watercolor works on the paper so its all good, Joan!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully painted, Joan. It looks good for painting on regular paper!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joan, fantastic. Thanks for the link. You urban sketchers are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sherry, Hilda, and Jo. The paper buckles, pills, and just doesn't work well but until I feel comfortable sketching in pen I'll keep using it.

    ReplyDelete