Sunday, December 8, 2019

Trip to Essex Market - Part 1

Yesterday the NYC Urban Sketchers were meeting at Essex Market on Delancey Street in the city. Julie had organized the sketch event but couldn't be there in the morning due to work. So she asked if someone would be able to be there by 10:00 am to meet any sketchers that wanted to make sure they were in the right area. So I volunteered. I was on the 7:39 train from Ronkonkoma. With the holidays approaching there were a lot more riders on the early train. I lucked out and facing me was this young man right between the seats. Facing him was a friend of his with headphones on. They were talking most of the way in but he stayed still enough that I could sketch him...and include one headphone on his friend. lol


Essex Market has changed a lot since the last time I was there in 2014. They remodeled the whole thing. Before it was a throwback to the Lower East Side with brick walls and wood and lots of charm. Now it looks like a modernized industrial building with food and specialty shops...not much different from a lot of the specialty markets they are building now. I'm not saying it wasn't fun to sketch there...only that the old time feel was gone. 
I walked around and checked out a few spots for possible sketches. I picked this view of Davidovich Bakery for my first sketch. I had promised to be on the main floor so sketchers could find me and I posted on FB to look for me near the staircase. I had a counter in front of me to sketch on, but I had to stand to do the sketch. Later in the day they did put out high stools by that counter but I made do without one. 
Davidovich Bakery specializes in top quality artisan bagels based on old recipes passed down in the family. The shop also had delicious looking breads, pastries, and cookies. I resisted them all. I did a tall sketch because I also wanted to include some of the outside view of the brick building and the Christmas trees being sold outside. 


6 comments:

  1. I really like your people/structure sketches. Everything is going modern. You did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. They take away all the charm that was there previously.

      Delete
  2. The sketch of the boy is super Joan and the bakery one is great too. I look forward to seeing part two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, thank you. It ended up being a fun place to sketch...just no old time charm. lol

      Delete
  3. Amazing portrait/sketch of the boy. Just super Joan. Loved seeing your bakery too. I get what you mean about how certain places change and lose some of their charm. Hope you are having a great week. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie, thanks! They changed and many new vendors came instead of the ones that were there originally. I'm sure the rents skyrocketed. The week is starting off wet and should be getting colder. I guess you are getting that too. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete