Monday, December 9, 2019

Essex Market - Part 2

When I did my wandering around Essex Market in the morning I found a spot I HAD to sketch...The Pickle Guys. I sat right across from them and listened to them chat with all the customers telling them the family history and the new additions, like pickled mango. I spent a lot of time on the sketch because I wanted to get both of them in as well as a customer. When I finished I walked over to show them. They loved it and asked if they could take photos of it. They thought at first that I was sitting there taking notes on what they were doing...like maybe I was from the IRS, but then they realized what I was doing. lol I sampled the pickles they were offering and I wanted the most sour one they had to have as part of my lunch. It is hard to find a really good sour pickle, but this hit the spot. They gave it to me as a freebie. I rarely eat pickles and forgot how salty (but delicious) they were. I wish I had bought a few to take home.


After lunch I headed downstairs again but this time focused on something sweet at Ample Hills Creamery. They did have a lot of people stop by while I was there, but I had already sketched in the counter and didn't want to change the sketch. I think they were the only ice cream place at the market.


I had a little bit of time before we were meeting upstairs for our show and tell, but I headed up there early. I sat at a table and did a quick sketch of this lady having a snack. I probably would have worked on this a little more if I had the time, but everyone else was coming upstairs to meet.




10 comments:

  1. Oooh, I puckered thinking about the sour pickles -- I like them really sour, too! Looks like a fun shop! And pickles followed by ice cream! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina. That pickle really hit the spot. lol

      Delete
  2. Excellent sketches Joan. I love the first one... the colors on the barrels are beautifully painted. I always wonder HOW you find these places!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilda, thank you. I'm lucky to find such fun locations and people to sketch with.

      Delete
  3. Fabulous sketches and story. I’m a fan of dill pickles but understand your yearning for a good sour one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. When my FIL was still alive we would take him to a Kosher deli every once in a while for lunch. They always put a dish of pickles on the table and I would eat all the sour ones. The pickles were always the best part of the lunch. lol

      Delete
  4. Wow - wonderful pieces and so many in one day! You are a real sketching dervish Joan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Val. I can get a lot done when I start sketching on the train before 8 AM. lol]

      Delete
  5. Ice cream and pickles - a suspicious combination...
    Great sketches, Joan! Love your stories, too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, I have to admit it isn't a combination I would want. It sort of sours my stomach just thinking about it. lol Thanks.

      Delete