Sunday, November 18, 2018

Swag Bags and On to the Draw-A-Thon Part 1

I know some of you were wondering what we got in our swag bags from Blick. Let me just say that they were prepared with about 100 bags in case we had a big turnout. Some of the merchandise was from the store itself but Caran d'Ache had their own little bags for us filled with art treasures. I arranged everything we received on my kitchen table this morning. My hubby was impressed with what I came home with. This includes the extras that Caran d'Ache gave us too.


In addition all customers coming into the store had the chance to spin a prize wheel and get a gift ranging from gift cards, paints, sketchbooks, aprons, etc. I got a small set of some kind of acrylic paints that I will gift to some artist that will use them.

After lunch I won a watercolor pad and a set of koi watercolor paints. We shopped at the store for a while and I'm sure they made money off of us since everyone I know that was there bought several things. lol (We never do seem to have enough supplies.) All I know was that my backpack weighed a ton and I had to carry it into the city.

From Brooklyn many of us headed into Manhattan to the Draw-A-Thon at the High School of Art and Design on 56th St. This is one of their big fundraisers. You pay a fee to enter and there are two big rooms with models posing from around 9am until 6pm. One room is strictly nudes and there are 4 areas set up. Two are for long poses and the same pose is held all day long. In the third area the model does mostly quick gesture poses that last from 2 - 10 minutes. The last area the model poses for about 10 minutes each time. I went to that area and sketched for about an hour and a half.



During a short break I started sketching the woman to the left of me who was sketching with her legs resting on a chair. I sketched the model when she posed again but at one point she was down on the platform and I couldn't see her from where I was sitting, so I went back to sketching some of the other people sketching in the room.


When I got tired of the nude models I went to the other room which was much more fun...but that's for tomorrow.

8 comments:

  1. What a great bag of goodies. Wow. Your nudies are well done. A good day of sketching … with more to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great day for sketching both outside and inside.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the peek at your swag! What a nice haul! I think I've mentioned before that your Draw-a-Thon is similar to our Drawing Jam. Models everywhere in every state of dress or not! So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy doing the models in costume. Next time I think I'll just do those.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful sketches Joan. Years ago I went on Mondays to a nude modeling class in Long Beach... I have a problem with live models and really did SO bad that I never went back. I was told the more you do the better you get...hmmmmm. They looked like stick figures. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hilda. I guess if you sketch them often enough you get better. I end up sketching them max twice a year. lol

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful haul! And what a nice way to treat the sketchers. Super sketches to Joan. Life studies are not something I have ever done and I don't see them in my future either - lol. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, I don't do life studies often but like portraits they make me really observe things closely. I don't really have to do that in a landscape.

      Delete