Monday, November 19, 2018

Draw-A-Thon Part 2

The Draw-A-Thon at the High School of Art and Design has a room of costumed models in addition to the room full of nude models. These are appropriate for any age sketchers. A few of the models were doing short poses, but there were some that were doing the same pose for the day. I would think that as a model that must get boring but these models happily went back to the same pose after a short break and did that all day. 

The models for this sketch really attracted me. They worked so well together and I felt like I was capturing their story. She was so cute and had her headphones tucked under her hair and inside her kimono. Their costumes were really colorful and coordinated well. The only thing that was strange was that they were sitting on a chartreuse green inflatable sofa. lol I probably worked on this for about an hour and a half and was really happy with it. It is about 5 x 7.


There was still time before the event was over so I moved down by another model also in a kimono. The kimono was hard to sketch because it had such a detailed Japanese design on it. I liked the way this one came out too. Again it is about 5 x 7.


The poses ended at 6 pm when pizza was delivered...boxes and boxes of pizza. That is part of your admission...to get pizza for dinner. I think a lot of the people who are there sketching never seem to take a break and have been there since the morning. By 6 pm everyone is starving. Sketching makes you hungry. While everyone eats they do a big raffle for products that they sold tickets for. There were a lot of art materials that were part of the raffle, dinners to restaurants in the city, and this year's grand prize was an iPad. I think this fundraiser made the most money ever for them. It was a lot of fun to do!





9 comments:

  1. These are great and so colorful, Joan! Wish I could join you at this event -- sounds like so much fun as well as being a fundraiser. Bravo!

    - Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lot of fun and it raises a lot of money for the school.

      Delete
  2. I sat next to you and saw how you built up the color layers for the first sketch. Nothing is better than seeing how beautiful the original is compared to the photo. It was such a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, thanks. I enjoyed watching how your sketch developed and you added a lot to it when I moved on.

      Delete
  3. Wow Joan both sketches are fabulous. I am sure both of these subjects were a challenge. You did wonderful with them. Hope the pizza was delicious. Hugs! P.S. Have a blessed Thanksgiving. I am so grateful for your inspiring blog and your visits to mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, thanks so much. I am really grateful to have special people like you in my life for support and inspiration. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

      Delete
  4. Stupendous sketches Joan and one can see the level of difficulty. This sounds like a super event and I am glad you share with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sketching these models was my favorite part of the day. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. Ahhhh, nice. These are beautiful and tell the story. Pizza makes me hungry. I’m grateful for your friendship, too.

    ReplyDelete