Saturday, October 20, 2018

Inktober 2018 - Day 20 & Sketching at the Met

Today I went into the city to meet the NYC Urban Sketchers at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I took the Long Island Railroad in so I had a good opportunity to do a few ink sketches for Day 20 of Inktober 2018.
#inktober, #inktober2018



Our plan today was to sketch in the American Wing at the Met which is a wide open, light-filled room with lots of sculptures. But most of it was closed due to a party that was being held there tonight. That section was roped off but you could still see across the room so I sketched a statue with some Tiffany glass windows behind it. The museum has a "dry media" policy, so I worked in watercolor pencils for my first sketch and then used my water brush. Nobody complained. The policy is very often not enforced but I have been there when a guard came over and told me I could only use dry media. I don't know what the title of the sculpture is since they wouldn't let us into the area that was roped off.


I started a second sketch before lunch and finished it after lunch. It was done by William Wetmore Story of Cleopatra. I did this one in graphite pencil. Right after I finished it they announced that all visitors had to leave the American Wing so that they could set up for the function that was taking place there.


We headed from there to a section of the museum that has European sculptures. This time I focused on the view of the room, the people and the sculptures.



5 comments:

  1. You had a busy day! I like the drape line and shading work on Cleopatra. Fun to see what you saw on your last sketch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mel. I was hoping to sketch in the room with the Egyptian temple but that was closed too.

      Delete
  2. You do so much sketching and running around, your day made me tired. Ha. Love the sketches, especially the last one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. LOL I got in my 10,000 steps with all my walking yesterday. I was exhausted when I got home.

      Delete
  3. So many interesting things to sketch! All of these are super Joan but my favourite is the Cleopatra - so well drawn.

    ReplyDelete