Sunday, November 12, 2017

Saturday - Part II

Saturday was a special day for the Urban Sketchers...their 10th anniversary. To celebrate in style they scheduled a USk WorldWide Sketchcrawl. At least 110 Urban Sketcher Regional Chapters from all over the world participated and the work was live streamed on Instagram from different select cities starting in Australia and moving across the world. NYC was participating and we met in Times Square to sketch. Unfortunately for us Saturday was the coldest day we've had since the winter. It was below freezing in the morning and the temperature rose to a balmy high of about 43 degrees.

I did go prepared. When I came home at the end of the day I felt like one of those Russian dolls with one layer under another layer...you get the point. I had 2 thermal layers under my jeans, special heavy "heat holder" socks, 2 thermal tops, a turtleneck and a heavy sweater under my winter coat. Add a scarf, hat, and 2 pairs of fingerless gloves. For the most part I was warm for the first few hours, but when the sunlight went behind the skyscrapers I started to get cold.

Times Square has these risers that people usually stand or sit on. I was sitting on my folding chair so my rear end wouldn't be on the cold risers, but I had a lot of trouble balancing everything in my lap with my bulky coat, so I ended up sitting on the riser for a while. Here are a few short videos and you can see me sketching in the first one. lol


Here are Katie and Leslie sketching.



(Right to left) Sonia, Paula, Suzala and Leslie.


Here is the sketch I was doing of the view ahead of me.


I also did a sketch of some of the people sitting on the risers, including Leslie who was in the video above.



When I moved down from the risers I was sidetracked by the sailors celebrating Veteran's Day in Times Square. I did a quick sketch of one of them.


More tomorrow.


8 comments:

  1. I went to the City on Saturday with my daughter and family....and OMGoodness was it cold!!!!! I told her that it was the last time until Spring!!!! Lol.....love your sketch Of the buildings and the people on the risers is excellent!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! What troopers to sketch in the freezing cold!

    - Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joan what a joy to see you sketching - your discipline and readiness to go out in any kind of weather just always amazes me. Thank you friend for continuing to share your great sketches and serve as an inspiration to all who visit your blog. Looks like from the other video you were in great company too. Have a delightful week. Brr - hope it warms up this week :)!! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debbie. It is good to hang around with like-minded people.

      Delete
  4. I have said it before - you are so intrepid! It looks like you had a good turn out in spite of the cold and your sketches are super. Thanks for sharing Joan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies










    1. Val, thanks. It was a challenge to be out in that weather, but we did it!


      Delete