Friday, November 24, 2017

Minimal Sketch Kit?

My friend, Tina Koyama did a post the other day about what is in her "minimal sketch kit." I thought about it and came to the conclusion that I am definitely not a minimalist kind of girl. Yes, I can go out with just a small sketchpad and a pen or pencil...but I usually don't. Last year I bought myself a pen/pencil case that can hold a variety of sketching materials that I can grab in an instant. Of course, being me, there are duplicates of some of the pens...after all what if one of them runs out? It could happen and has happened in the past. lol 
The problem for me is that I often haven't decided before I leave the house if I am just doing a quick sketch or a painting. So I want to make sure I have what I need...just in case. That means I usually drag along my backpack which has just about everything except the kitchen sink. On occasion I do go out with just the pencil case and one sketchbook.

The Lihit Lab Pen Case I use has several sections. In front there is room for my tiny palette. Then inside I have a variety of pens in the first two sections including a Lamy Safari, 2 Elegant Writer Pens, Uniball gel pens in white and gold, black uniball pens, a Japanese brush pen that I can refill, an Elizabeth & Company travel dagger brush, a sable travel brush, and a fountain pen I bought in this elegant pen store in Venice. Usually I reach for the Lamy Safari before anything else because it is filled with platinum carbon ink which is waterproof (in most situations). The back section has an eraser, pencils, sharpener and a water brush or two. Does it sound like I have enough to do some sketching?

Here is a sketch of the inside of the front section and labels to identify the kind of pen.




Here are a few photos to let you see what it actually looks like without using artistic license. lol
I'm not showing you the back which is just solid orange because it has a blot of ink that is almost half of the back. You can see a bit of the ink on the inside in the second photo down too. One of my pens leaked. Grrr!!!





6 comments:

  1. The Lihit Lab is a great compact case! Your kit actually looks quite minimal, even though you have lots in it, because it all fits in the one case. That pen leak -- ouch!! :-( Seems like every sketcher has to go through that at least once!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. It's cool to see your bright pink pen from Venice! It's better than a decorative souvenir because you use it.

      Delete
    2. I like buying useful thing when I travel. My first Lamy Safari (the red one) was bought in Florence when I visited an internet friend, so it has special meaning. She translated for me and showed me how to use the converter.

      Delete
  2. Minimalist or not it looks like a great kit for your needs - as you say you never know what you will be inspired to do. - thanks for sharing Joan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Val. It seems like a lot to tote around, but since I'm usually going by car it doesn't really matter.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for share, love to see what you are using. Lot to tote but you are prepared and can do what you need to in the moment.

    ReplyDelete