Thursday, July 6, 2023

Concert in the Park

  Sayville Common Ground Rotary Park has concerts on Wednesday nights. My sketch club met there for the first concert of the summer and some sketching. The weather forecast predicted possible storms but a fairly big crowd turned out anyway, but few of us sketchers showed. I think there were only four of us.

People get there early to gather with friends and chat, have a bite to eat, etc. I used that time to do a direct painting of a few people and a dog.


The concert itself was by "Strange Magic," a ELO (Electric Light Orchestra) tribute band. They sounded pretty good and had a lazer light show while they performed. After about 40 minutes or so you could tell that the stormy weather was coming...but we kept sketching. Finally I looked up and decided it would be best to put away my painting materials before the rain started. I was just in time! The rain started coming down lightly and one of our members headed home. The rest of us and the rest of the crowd stayed until the end. Yes, by that time I was pretty wet. I was wearing a rain jacket but water resistant and waterproof are very different. Mark, Pat and I toughed it out and had a nice time. ELO isn't one of my favorite groups, but I was surprised that they did so many songs that I knew and enjoyed. I did snap a few photos so that I could touch up the sketch at home. Once in a while when I sketch performers I show the sketch to them but I wasn't doing that in the rain, so I looked for the band and found them on Facebook. I messaged them and sent a copy of the sketch. They loved it and reposted it on their page.



6 comments:

  1. Man, you guys are hardcore! ;-) Glad you had fun, despite all the wet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like a really great event despite the weather. Great sketches as always and how fabulous that the group reposted your sketch on their page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John. The musicians are usually so flattered.

      Delete
  3. Joan this sounds like a great event. You do such a wonderful job with sketching people. I would think doing direct watercolor on people would be such a challenge. One you do so well. Have a wonderful weekend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Debbie. I get a faint resemblance and it looks like the group. Enjoy your weekend.

      Delete