Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Back to the Met

 With the direct watercolor challenge posts I missed posting a few other sketches. A few weeks back the weather forecast was for possible storms, so the NYC Urban Sketchers had Central Park as a destination but a backup of the Metropolitan Museum of Art if the forecast didn't improve. We ended up in the Met sketching Greek and Roman sculptures. I did one the captured a bit of the inside of the museum and the outside too. The museum rules state dry media only, but this isn't always enforced. I sketched in watercolor pencils and then used my waterbrush. The guards didn't seem to mind that, but stopped people who were using a watercolor palette.


The group broke for lunch at noon and I was regretting that we were indoors, because of course there were no storms outside. 
Luckily at lunch Marion told me about the display on the rooftop garden at the Met...so I went up to check it out. It was wonderful! The space was designed by American artist Lauren Halsey specifically for the Iris and B. Gerald Cantor Roof Garden. Apparently they select a new artist to design the garden space each year. My thanks to another sketcher, Elana Amity for safely leading me thru the museum and up to the garden on the roof. Lauren had created an exhibit that merged Egyptian architecture with a bit of Black American Life amid the backdrop of NYC skyscrapers. I was able to get some outdoor sketching done!
Here is what I sketched.


Here are a few photos of the exhibit.








2 comments:

  1. I love your sketches and thanks for the tour! I like seeing NY without the travel.

    ReplyDelete