Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Oyster Bay Scenes

On Sunday my friend, Suzala organized a NYC Urban Sketchers' trip to Oyster Bay which is on the north shore of Long Island in Nassau County, about 35 minutes north-west of me. It was nice to have a location where I didn't have to spend nearly 1 1/2 hrs on the train. I was able to drive. Some of the sketchers came by car but most of the sketchers who live in the city itself took the Long Island Railroad out to Oyster Bay.

I've been to Oyster Bay a few times before so I was looking for a view I hadn't sketched yet. We met at the gazebo in the center of the town but spread out as each person headed to the location of their choice. Since I am near the water a lot I wanted to do town sketches. First I went and sat across from the North Shore Assembly of God. I always like when there is a welcoming open door to a church. There was a choir inside that was singing for a little while too.


We got together for lunch and then I was hoping to sketch the motorcycle museum/shop that houses many, many of Billy Joel's bikes, but there was too much of a glare on the windows of the shop. In the sketch below the shop is the building on the left. None of the bikes are for sale but people are welcome to come inside and look...but there isn't enough room to sit and sketch. So instead I did the view of the town looking down the street. I got to practice my car sketching too.


We were meeting for show and tell at 3:00 but I finished the above sketch with about 25 minutes to spare so I did a quick direct in watercolor sketch of the gazebo before we gathered. One of our sketchers was sitting on the bench sketching from there.


Here I am sharing one of my sketches as well as photos of a few of the other sketchers sharing their work. There were probably about 25 of us there. Quite a few of the sketchers went up to the waterfront to sketch.

Me sharing my sketch.

Anna

Kathy Gutterman

Karen sketched as well as doing some journaling.





6 comments:

  1. You captured that lovely church well! And yay for the utility pole! ;-) Looks like a fun day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun day with great people. Thanks.

      Delete
    2. Dear Joan, I am pastor Ray of North Shore Assembly of God. Thank you for painting our church and for the kind words. We are holding a Hope Day for our Community this June 5th 3pm to 5pm, giving out clothes and food. Please feel free to join us.

      Delete
  2. How nice that you get a good sized group out for these events; it make it so worthwhile for the organizers. I do like you street scenes as they often show the flavour of the area. Your direct watercolour is super too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Val. My friend that organized this was afraid nobody would show up because it was a holiday weekend. She was pleasantly surprised.

      Delete
  3. This was a great outing. You are so prolific with your work. All good and the direct is amazing.

    ReplyDelete