Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Civil War Encampment

Every year at this time there is a local group that does a Civil War Reenactment at the Islip Grange Park in Sayville. I ignore the recreation of the battle (except for always jumping when the shots are fired for the battle) and instead I find something by the camp to sketch. This year there were tents set up and one of the soldiers was cooking something over the fire. Of course I started the sketch and he disappeared. By the time he reappeared I already had the bales of hay around the fire and his body actually should have been in front of the hay...but I'll pretend he must be kneeling behind that hay bale. lol I used artistic license and left out all the parked cars and telegraph wires that were in the scene.


8 comments:

  1. Wonderful sketch. These reenactments are so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. They are interesting but I hate the sound of the gunfire.

      Delete
  2. Lovely scene Joan - reminds me of our Great Trail Festival that falls the last of August and the first of September. I can almost smell that campfire. Hope you have a great weekend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that here they wait until beach season is over so there are more families free to go to the event. Thanks so much for coming over and commenting!

      Delete
  3. A wonderful sketch and a very creative solution! We attended these when we lived in the Midwest and really miss them. My favorite memory is attending a nighttime event - made it so real:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chris. My nephew and niece in Atlanta participated in these when they were younger. They had costumes and everything.

      Delete
  4. A super piece Joan - I tink much nicer than any battle scene

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great. Nice find. We were in Tombstone a couple of days ago and just missed the recreation of the shoot-out at the OK Corral. I didn’t sketch but got a few photos of the actors, stagecoach, etc. They have something similar here at old timers day, but we are gone to NM when they have it.

    ReplyDelete