Friday, September 8, 2017

On Line

I think it would be rare to go into Starbucks and find no line. That's where the Patchogue Sketch Club met on Wednesday evening. We were scheduled to sketch outdoors but we had on and off showers and rain most of the day, so two of us made an "executive decision" to sketch indoors. You can see where we went. lol The Starbucks location in Patchogue has a big table where we can congregate and you can either do the counter and the people waiting or the people at the tables and the comfy chairs.

I love the poses on the people but they don't like to stay still. Sometimes I combine part of the body of one person with another person. But these people (especially the lady in the green dress and the man in the checked shirt) had such distinctive waiting poses I sketched them completely. I did sketch in pencil rather than ink because they were moving so much that I needed to adjust the sketch of each person several times. It got easier when I got to the background. lol


8 comments:

  1. Excellent sketch Joan! I love Starbuck's. I get my daily heart palpitations from there...lol Beautiful job on the people and love all the detail work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of great details and poses! I wanted to mention that a local artist named Paula Ensign, who sketches with us in Seattle sometimes, just did a blog post about her plein air group's "Quick Draw" event, which is the same kind as your group did, I think. Thought you might be interested in hearing how hers went:
    https://love-to-draw.com/2017/09/08/the-quick-draw/

    - Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just visited Paula's blog to see how her event went. Thanks for the link and the visit here.

      Delete
  3. Joan, love this. I always wondered how you do your people. Good ideas, thanks. I can live without Starbucks, too. Gene says, “Latte in English means you paid too much for your coffee!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, thanks. They are overpriced and the coffee tastes bitter to me.

      Delete
  4. A super piece Joan.Your patience is awesome - I am sure I woruld give up - lol. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, the challenge is to keep on sketching no matter what. lol Thanks.

      Delete