Monday, September 18, 2017

At the Edge

Maybe two weeks ago I threw a grey Graphit-Kreide water-soluble chunky pencil by Lyra into my beach cooler. I got it as a freebee in my swag bag in Chicago. Why did I put it in my cooler? Since it was a crayon I wasn't sure what would happen if the sun and heat were beating down on it. I have had wc crayons soften in the sunshine. I did put it in a ziploc bag so it wouldn't get wet.

When I was at the beach the other day the water was really rough...from the next storm (Jose') which is coming up the Atlantic coast. I sketched the water and the waves as well as the gull with the pencil and then added regular watercolors over it. I liked the effect I got. It was easy to soften the waves to make them look like they were splashing. I brought this home, framed it and submitted it with another piece I did yesterday to the plein air show and sale one of my art groups is having at the Fire Island Lighthouse. The painting itself is 5 x 7. I will have to check out what other colors this brand of pencil comes in. We were also given one in a dark blue, but that one isn't water-soluble.


11 comments:

  1. This is wonderful, Joan! I haven't tried that pencil yet (from the goodie bag), but now you've reminded me to. I love using water-soluble pencils of any kind!

    - Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina. I liked the effect. I'm trying to at least try out a few things from our goodie bag. lol

      Delete
  2. Beautiful, especially the representation of the heavy surf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kate. It is hard to do the surf since it doesn't stay still. I do find like sketching people it does tend to come back to the same pose again.

      Delete
  3. beautiful!!! I like very much the water colors and variation of edges!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the water-soluble pencil really worked for this. Thank you, Oty.

      Delete
  4. Whether it was the pencil or your regular watercolours you got a super effect Joan. It looks cold and stormy. I hope you are staying safe with all these storms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, thank you. The storms are really causing a lot of erosion here on the east end of Long Island. It is pretty to watch the water, but it is really powerful. Today we have wind and rain from Jose' and some more high surf.

      Delete
  5. This turned out just great, at least Jose was good for something. Will this storm ever die?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The storms are awful this year. Sort of like when Katrina and Rita were roaming around. Your painting is great, like the old birdie.

    ReplyDelete