Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Jewish Museum Sketches and Museums Along Central Park

The sketches I posted yesterday were from my travels to and from the city last week. Here are the sketches I did. The NYC Urban Sketchers met at the Jewish Museum on the Upper East Side. This was my first visit to this museum. On the second floor there was an exhibit of the fashions of Isaac Mirahi. I picked my favorite in the collection. It wasn't easy to sketch there because I couldn't use a stool and the "walls" were fabric stretched on bars. There was nothing to lean on!


I wandered around the rest of the exhibits on the 3rd and 4th floors. Most of the objects were really small or really ornate and difficult to sketch. I did find a few pots, a menorah, and a scroll case.



We had lunch outside and it seemed like it was warm enough to sit out for a while, so a few other sketchers and I sat long Fifth Avenue and first sketched the Guggenheim...


and then the National Academy Museum (which I've never visited).




5 comments:

  1. All so wonderful Joan, just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. fabulous as always Joan. I think more of us (artists) should be doing sketches of this sort although I think I would throw up my hands in disgust at my efforts - lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Sheila!

    Val, any kind of sketching is a plus. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are just super. Your outdoor sketching and dedication to all sketching is inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your sketch of the Guggenheim museum. Nice sketches from the Jewish Museum too. I don't think I would have been able to sketch with no seat and nothing to lean on.

    ReplyDelete