Saturday, August 24, 2024

 Last weekend the NYC Urban Sketchers met at the High Line, an elevated park in NYC. Our goal was to sketch a structure called "Old Tree" by Pamela Rosenkranz. I brought along my water-soluble red pen figuring it would help catch all the small details on this red tree. I combined it with my red watercolors. It reminds me of the tree of life. This is a temporary exhibit and the sculpture will be replaced with a different one soon. Next up is a sculpture of a giant pigeon.


Next I moved to a location where I could see a real view of the High Line and the beautiful plants that were incorporated into the park made from an elevated train tressle. I love that the train rails are still showing in the garden areas. Also you get a nice view of the surrounding buildings.


Next to the High Line in Hudson Yards is a unique structure called the Vessel. It was open for a few years and you could climb all the way to the top. However several people jumped to their deaths in a short span of time, so the structure is now closed to the public while they do something to make it safer. I did this mostly with direct watercolor and a few raindrops kept falling on the painting, but I was able to make to work even with the wet paints. Looking at it I'm sure I will never climb up on it if it reopens.








3 comments:

  1. These are amazing in different ways. Your paintings always tell as story.
    Tragic about the suicides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The suicides are sad. People need to reach out for help.

      Delete
  2. I recall that day so well. These are all beautiful! So nice to sketch with you!

    ReplyDelete