Sunday, March 17, 2019

Morgan Library

On Saturday the NYC Urban Sketchers met at the Morgan Library and Museum on Madison Ave and 36th Street. It was founded to house the private library of J. P. Morgan in 1906. It includes manuscripts, books, 3 Gutenberg bibles, prints, drawings, etc. In accordance with his will, J.P. Morgan's son made the library a public institution.

The original library still stands but a more modern part was added to house the museum which has changing exhibits. I wasn't sure there would be much there that was sketchible, but I was suprised. The library itself is overwhelming, basically from the sheer number of books. I did a narrow, vertical sketch so that I could include some of the ornate ceiling, the books and display case, as well as some people. The room is kept rather dim (to protect the books I would assume) so I was never quite sure what colors I was using. Supposedly there are restrictions on what art materials you can use. I worked with watercolor pencils and when I wanted to add water I went out into the lobby to do so. I added the ink there too. 


At lunch other people said they had used wet media and the guards were fine with it. So when I did this second sketch in J.P. Morgan's study I used the watercolor pencils but did add water with my water brush and added ink with my pen. This room was even darker than the library so when I finally went out into the lobby I darkened some of the colors because everything looked too pale.


If I had more time I would have done a sketch in the modern addition to the museum. It had some really interesting views of the different levels and the neighboring buildings.

In the morning before the library itself opened I sketched this panel with two cherubs that was over the door of the Polish General Consulate. It was around the corner from the Morgan Library.



8 comments:

  1. I like the color you did on these with watercolor pencils (my fave medium, of course!)! I get away with them in a lot of places that don't allow paints. This must be an amazing library!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It is an amazing library in a small space. I was glad I brought the pencils since they worked well in there.

      Delete
  2. Joan - you certainly found wonderful sketching material in this library. All three are wonderful works. I especially love your vertical one capturing the ornate work at the top of the room. Have a great day. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Debbie. I knew I had to include some of that gorgeous ornate work in addition to the books. Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  3. Wow, nice color and subjects. The cherubs was a great find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, thank you. I want wandering when I got to the library before it opened. That's how I found the cherubs.

      Delete
  4. Wow - these sketches are wonderful Joan. What fabulous subjects you found to paint - the study sketch is just great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, thanks! I was really happy with the way it came out. The guard kept coming over to see how it was coming along and wanted to see it before I left.

      Delete