Monday, March 25, 2019

Gas Station and People

On Sunday when I was driving around I found this cute old gas station that was somewhere between Hampton Bays and East Quogue. I loved the old pump and the flag on the building.
This was done mostly with watercolors and ink and then a little watercolor pencil on the trees.


These two sketches were from Saturday. I usually do a full sketch when I take the train from all the way out by me, but because I was going to Brooklyn Terminal the connections were better if I left from Hicksville. That means the ride to Jamaica Station was short. I did this directly in ink which I find hard to do on the LIRR. For some reason there is a vibration that I feel and it makes the ink lines very raggedy. This lady was sitting so that one of the seats partially blocked her so the sketch isn't quite complete, but it resembles her a lot.


Coming home I had a short wait in Jamaica where I was switching trains so I sketched one of the commuters that was standing nearby. This was done directly in ink.


5 comments:

  1. Beautiful watercolor.... I love the antique gas pump. And your sketches are wonderful as always...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gas station is a great find. Love the colors. People sketches rock…..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charming little sketch of the gas station - I wonder if that pump is still working. Wow - great job on the first pen piece when the train was bumping along. I would have opted for a landscape as bumpy hand are great for trees - lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I'm sure the pump isn't working since the center of it was open clear through from front to back. Thanks!

      Delete