Saturday, August 4, 2018

Porto Day 1

My Porto trip begins with my time at Kennedy Airport. I always try to get there early so my husband dropped me off about 3 hrs before the flight. I had checked in and was through security in about 10 minutes. You know that doesn't happen when you need it to happen. lol So I had time to sketch at the airport. I found a spot in one of the restaurant/bars to sit with a view toward the bar.


Then I moved on to Gate 46 where my American Airlines plane would be departing. It was crowded but I found a spot with a pretty good view out the window for my obligatory airplane sketch.


Later on the plane I sketched the flight attendants as they were serving beverages on the way to Madrid.


Just in case you want to see the size of these here is the whole page. I took along a Strathmore Mixed Media Sketchbook that is just about 8 x 10. The Madrid ticket was added later.


My next flight was on Iberia. Compared to American their seats feel like you are sitting on plastic...no cushiony feeling to the seat at all. Luckily the flight from Madrid to Porto was short. I took a cab from the airport to my apartment where I was met by the rental agent. I should have sketched or taken photos of the apartment which was great but the best that I have are photos of my view. My studio apartment was located on Largo S Domingos, a square which was filled with restaurants and people. It was a great location! I had views out in two directions. It was a studio apartment but had an area for the bed, a table with 3 upholstered chairs, a small couch with a TV, a tiny kitchen area behind doors with a two burner stove, a sink, a fridge and barely any room to prep anything. I wasn't planning to cook anything besides breakfast so it worked out well. And there was a nice sized bathroom with a big shower where I could hang laundry to dry.



I contacted my friends and met them for lunch at Majestic Cafe, an old time Porto cafe that was beautifully decorated. These ladies at a table near us were enjoying their lunch.





From there we walked to the Se' Cathedral which was sitting on a hill and had great views over the city. It was a spot that I returned to many times. Porto is a city of very steep streets, wonderful old buildings (right up my alley), great food and wonderful people.


Here's my friend, Shawne sketching from the wall by the cathedral as the sun was starting to go down. It didn't get dark in Porto until around 9:30.


My friends were going out to dinner at 9:00 but I was so tired. I had been up for almost 24 hours without sleep. I told them I had to skip dinner and headed back to my apartment. There was a saxophonist playing in the square when I got back and from inside the apartment what I heard was soft sax music as I fell asleep.









11 comments:

  1. Welcome back Joan!! You've been missed but so happy that you had a good time. I LOVE this post which I will show my husband later since he works at American Airlines and will love the sketch you did while you were in the plane. Love the building with the laundry hanging down. I have a photo reference of laundry hanging out in Little Italy NYC which I would love to paint someday....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the welcome home! I find most countries in Europe have laundry hanging since they don't have actual clothes dryers.

      Delete
  2. Nice to see your post, Joan. Yes, you've been gone much longer than most of us from Porto. Welcome back. Great sketches of the inflight beverage service and the houses by the Se Cathedral.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mel. It seems like Porto was a long time ago.

      Delete
  3. Nice to have you back posting Joan. It looks like a great start to your Urban Sketchers get-a-way. The detail in your sketches at the airport and on the plane is great considering the size. I am sure yu had a super time and I look forward to hearing and seeing about your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I expected these great sketches and you didn't disappoint! I enjoyed seeing the actual size because they look much bigger on screen. Do you know how great your work is when it can take being enlarged?
    Good to have you back safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Julie! I really appreciate your comments.:)

      Delete
  5. Welcome home, Joan! It'll be fun to recall memories of Porto through your sketches. As usual, we had so little time to chat! By the way, ask Shawne to tell you sometime about how she saved my life! ;-)

    - Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina! She did tell me you got locked in the stall at the Hub.

      Delete
  6. Great fun that shows in your sketches. Love ‘em.

    ReplyDelete