Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Latvia Part II

My hotel had a nice continental breakfast and they stored my luggage when I checked out at 11:00. My family was arriving on a flight that got in at 1:00 but they would have to pick up the rental car and figure out how to get to me. I suggested that I just meet them at the rental apartment since my hotel was in a pedestrian only part of the city and it would be hard to figure out where they could pick me up. We would decide once they picked up the car.

I went out to do some sketching. I went back to Dome Square where all the Buddy Bears were and sketched the view there.

 

Since I still had time before I expected to hear from them I did another sketch down one of the streets in the old town.


Here are a few more photos from Riga.






When I heard from my brother we decided that it made more sense just to go to the rental apartment which was about 15 minutes outside of Riga in Marupe. The woman at the hotel desk called a cab for me and made sure he knew where he was going...and off we went.

When we arrived at the property I didn't see my brother, but I found the homeowner who showed me where they were. There was a second house on the property and we were renting 1/2 of that. It was very nice with 3 bedrooms, 3 baths, and a living/dining room all on two floors. Like the rest of Latvia it didn't have AC but at least it had big windows that opened wide to let in light.

We were all hungry and needed groceries so we ventured out to the grocery and what seemed to be the only restaurant in the area, and not Latvian but Italian. lol The food was good and the beer was cold and we were together which was what mattered. 

My nephew who we hoped to see that day was in transit. He had gone to pickup his 7 year old son who was in Germany with Joe's ex-wife, and their flight back to Riga was cancelled. They wouldn't be arriving until the following morning, so we just hung out at the apartment for the evening.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Joan - that’s what’s nice about seeing family in far away places. You just don’t know what awaits you in making it happen for them. At least you got to enjoy the Italian food & cold beer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've learned to just go with the flow as far as family. lol There is only so much you can control.

      Delete
  2. I love all the colorful bears lined up! It's fun hearing about your adventures in Latvia and terrific that you were able to swing this side trip to be with your family.

    - Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. The adventure continues and all got together on the end. Great that you got more
    sketching time in

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Joan catching up with you. Just read about the bears from the last post. They are amazing. So are your sketches. What a special treat to meet a young sketcher. So glad you had her sign it. I am sure this souvenir will bring back wonderful memories. Have a great weekend and enjoy your family. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful, wonderful! great sketches and photos Joan with so much variety - sketchers heaven I would guess.

    ReplyDelete