Saturday, April 28, 2018

Darling Harbour

I had hoped to sketch with a Sydney Urban Sketcher this morning but due to the weather we canceled. Instead I sketched the view out the apartment window.


The weather seemed to have cleared up so I walked to Darling Harbour. I decided to do a composite page first sketching the James Craig sailing vessel. Of course I got all set up and It started to rain. I scooted under a stairway so I was covered to work on the sketch. Then I added in the red boat that was also part of the Australian National Maritime Museum. I still had space left for a few bird sculptures that were part of the Dancing Brolga Fountain designed by Terrance Plowright. I did a double page spread.


I went over to the park to relax but there were these fountains with kids and I couldn’t resist,




9 comments:

  1. I really like the composite sketches and that RED boat added punch to the double spread. Very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like doing comps like this if there is enough to draw. It was a very busy, touristy place. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. That is an awesome painting of Darling Harbor. The many layers give it great depth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess the weather there is unpredictable and changeable! Your montage of vignettes is really nice -- like a visual journal of your day. I always tell myself I'd like to do more of those when I travel, but then when I'm there, I forget. It's a lovely way to quickly cover a lot of different things you see in a new place and want to remember.

    - Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forget about doing them too, but the capture the place well when I think of it. Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Rain or shine you still manage to do a great job and share. I really like the sketch of the rigging - very cool!. Thanks for sharing Joan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Neither rain, nor sleet, nor snow can deter our Joan -- no, no, that's the post man. Sorry you didn't get sketch with your group as I am sure you would have had many new friends. Wonderful glimpses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn’t have my mobile studio to hide in. Lol Thanks!

      Delete