Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Sideshow Sketch Night

Somehow I missed posting yesterday...which isn't like me. So today I'll do a longer post.

On Friday evening a group of artist I know went to the Sideshow Sketch Night at the Brickhouse Brewery in Patchogue. I've gone to similar "Dr. Sketchy" events in the city and this was just as much fun. "Betsy Propane" and "Trick the Bastard" modeled for us in a variety of 1, 5, 10 and 20 minute poses icostumed and semi-costumed. (Some of the poses were a little risqué. lol) Betsy is a voluptuous burlesque dancer and Trick works at the sideshow in Coney Island. This was the first time this style sketch night was held on Long Island and 53 artists showed up...the event was sold out!

Here are some quick 1 minute poses that I did to warm up. I sketched these with a water-soluble pencil, but didn't have time to add any water. 


These are 5 minute sketches. In addition to the water-soluble graphite I used watercolor crayons for some bold color.


During the evening there were several sketching contests and raffles with prizes like yoga classes, pottery classes, a basket of art supplies, sketchbooks, and a basket of chocolate products. In case you're wondering, Trick was in  a straightjacket. 


This was one of the 20 minute poses.


During one of the breaks I sketched the woman who was the emcee. She owns a local vintage clothing store and was dressed in a gorgeous outfit.


The night wound down with shorter sketches that were 1 minute again.


Everyone had a great time and it was so much fun to see the sketches and artwork done by the other artists during the break. My thanks to Amanda and Dean who worked so hard to get this event together. They did a wonderful job!

I have to say that this event made it a bit easier to sketch than "Dr. Sketchy." There were tables to work on and spread out your materials. At "Dr. Sketchy" events there are no tables so you need to balance your art materials, usually in your lap. Both events are great fun. The "Dr. Sketchy" events have become worldwide events, but it was fun to have an event so close to home in Patchogue. Another Sideshow Sketchnight will be held at the same location on March 4th...sadly I won't be able to attend.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks Sheila and Lin!!! It is a fun type of sketching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I envy you that you have an event like this in your community! What FUN!

    - Tina

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this post and seeing all your amazing sketches done in one night no less - wow!
    Sounded like a lot of fun and know everyone enjoyed themselves. I would be fascinated going around watching all the artists work.
    wish we had something like it here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie, thanks. I know there are a lot of events like this world-wide. You just have to know where to find them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like crazy fun sketching!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a really cool event to sketch at. :)

    ReplyDelete