Thursday, February 8, 2024

Hampton Bays Sketches

 I have a fondness for several towns in the Hamptons since I spent many summers renting summer houses there with friends. Hampton Bays is probably the least ritzy of the Hamptons and most affordable.

This is the Ponquogue Bridge which connects Hampton Bays with the barrier island that runs along part of the coast. When I first started going out there the bridge was a much smaller version and a bit rickety. I remember when they built this bridge and have good memories of walking to the center of it with my niece and nephew to watch the sunset. They were maybe 7 and 8 and told me they had never watched the sunset. So every day for the time they stayed with me we went somewhere to watch the sunset.


If you cross the bridge Ponquogue Beach is straight ahead. If you make a left you can ride about a mile along Dune Road and you come to the Shinnecock Canal. Nearby are the commercial fishing docks. I did a continuous line sketch of this fishing boat docked there.


Along the Shinnecock Canal is a rocky jetty where fishermen come and fish and people come to watch the boats travel through the canal.


In case you are wondering about the unusual names, many of the towns and locations have American Indian names. The Shinnecock Indians are still in the area and have a reservation nearby.




3 comments:

  1. These sketches are beautiful. You keep me up to date on all things NY. I feel like I've been to these places. I've learned a lot!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have gone into the travel business. lol Thanks.

      Delete
    2. You should have and made your own brochures! I love NY because of you!

      Delete