Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Near the Beach

Last Wednesday my evening sketch group met at Flo's in Blue Point. It is a funky clam bar where we like to sketch. I did this one from across the street. It was a cold evening. I had on long pants, a turtleneck shirt, a sweatshirt, another heavy sweatshirt, a scarf, and my fingerless gloves...and I was cold. 


I recently watched a video by Karlyn Holman where she shows you how to use an Elegant Writer pen, which gives wonderful washy bleeds. It is fun to do, but working small I wasn't able to save areas of white which she recommends. The ink still gives a nice washy look.



5 comments:

  1. I love the washes you are getting with that pen! Is it kind of a brush pen? You chose a great subject for the technique, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great paintings. Love the pen for quick sketches, have never added colour though, as it seems to rework.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tina, thanks. The brand is the Elegant Writer. It is supposed to be a calligraphy pen and the washy ink activates when wet no matter how long the ink sits, but once it is wet and dries it is permanent. Google Karlyn Holman on youtube.

    Thanks, Polly. If you watch Karlyn Holman's youtube video she tells you how to make it permanent so you can paint on it. I didn't do that. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! So cool you tried the elegant writer video too! I love this. I think your painting is great. Will you try it again?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! So cool you tried the elegant writer video too! I love this. I think your painting is great. Will you try it again?

    ReplyDelete