Monday, June 25, 2012

Sketching at Corey Beach

On Wednesday in the middle of our heat wave the Patchogue Sketch Club met down by Corey Beach at about 6 pm. It was still close to 90 degrees, but we sat under the pavillion and there was a bit of a breeze. There were so many people on the beach and in the water.

One of my current challenges that I'm taking part in is the 75 Days Challenge on Flickr. For each of the 75 days you have to do one sketch directly in pen. Sketching directly in pen is a big challenge for me, but I do find that when I do it I end up being much more observant of the subject. First I did the beach building scene. I eliminate a number of umbrellas and such, and I used a Micron pen for the inkwork.
I was finished long before the other artists, so I did a sketch (directly in pen) of Tom working on his drawing of the beach.
As of yesterday I have finished Day 6...only 69 more sketches to go. lol



5 comments:

  1. Absolutely wonderful! Direct with pen??? NOPE -- my best friend is an eraser!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute, and the one of Tom is fantastic. You really captured that he was concentrating!
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have to admit that I like the Tom piece best. It is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you've taken on the challenge of working directly with pen Joan. It's intimidating at first, but once you've done it a couple times it becomes liberating. Don't worry about perfection, just let all your lines speak, perfect or not they are your language, your expression of what you observe. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lin - Thanks. lol The eraser is my best friend too.

    Nora - Thanks so much.

    Sherry - It was really hard to do a person in pen...lots of concentrating. Thanks.

    David - It is a good way to sharpen your observation skills. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete