Saturday, May 9, 2020

Monterey Bay Aquarium

The NYC Urban Sketchers did a web cam virtual sketching event today. We went to the zoo! The plan was we could use any link for a site with live animals...or even sketch from photos. We were provided with some links to use including the Monterey Bay Aquarium, the San Diego Zoo, the Cincinnati Zoo, and a Safari adventure. In the morning I headed to the Monterey Bay Aquarium which is probably my favorite aquarium of all time. 

I was there once and remember how impressive the exhibits on jellyfish were. They always grossed me out at the beach, but when you see them floating in the tanks there they are just mesmerizing and beautiful. So the first sketch was done while watching the Jelly Cam. I have to be honest and say that I did pause the action a few times to capture what I was seeing. They float by awfully fast...


The Coral Reef Cam switched back and forth between a few camera views but I liked this one of the lacy coral the best. These pointy-nosed yellow and black fish were everywhere.


When I was there in reality many years ago I remember standing in front of this kelp forest exhibit and being amazed by how incredibly huge they were. They were taller than most trees and thick and moved like they were dancing. So the Kelp Forest Cam was a must!


In the afternoon I followed another link to a zoo...sketches to be seen tomorrow!

6 comments:

  1. Wow! These sketches are just amazing! To think that live footage is available for everyone to view, to enjoy - what a great idea! Looking forward to your trip to the zoo:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun to sketch the aquarium creatures. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Wow these are so interesting Joan. I am going to have to check out the different cams. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, the cams were really fun to watch. I think most zoos have them, especially right now. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. I looked at the Monterey Bay Aquarium Live Cam feed of sharks and they do go by fast, just like your jelly fish. The kelp forest must've been amazing IRL. You're fast doing several sketches from this Aquarium.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Joan. Excellent! Thanks for taking me to the aquarium.

    ReplyDelete