Monday, March 16, 2020

Captree State Park - Part 1

Yesterday was a mild day so I decided to head somewhere near the water and do some "solitary isolation" sketching from my mobile studio. I stuck a Stillman & Birn mixed toned paper sketchbook in my bag. I had used this sketchbook during the Urban Sketching Symposium in Amsterdam for the workshop I took with Pat Southern Pearce. The sketchbook I have has beige, black and gray paper.

I drove over to Captree State Park for inspiration and decided to do a double page spread in the sketchbook. Captree is known for the party fishing boats that leave from there. During the warmer months, there aren't too many of them at the dock because they are all out for the day with the fishermen. Yesterday there were lots of them, but the Island Princess caught my eye. I used watercolors, ink, white gouache, a white Signo gel pen, and a white Posca pen for this on grey paper.


Next I headed to the parking area where the boat launch area is. There was someone pulling their boat out of the water onto their trailer, but it didn't look like he would be there long enough for me to sketch him and his boat...and I was right. He was gone too quickly. So instead I did the water and the marshes in the bay. (This is the same bay where I did the sketches of the oystermen and the oyster dock this fall.)


 I will post more from there tomorrow.

8 comments:

  1. Super sketch of the boat and lovely park. You amaze me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jo. It was relaxing to just sit there and zone out on everything else.

      Delete
  2. Joan your sketches are so lovely - your art always is inspiring and keeps me painting and working with mine. Hope hubby is getting better and you are allowed in to see him. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debbie. I don't think they will be letting us in to see Jerry for a while. This doesn't seem like it will be over soon. Thanks for the good thoughts.

      Delete
  3. The island princess piece is awesome Joan and the marsh sketch is charming. Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, thanks so much. There were a lot of views to sketch. Wish I had been there earlier. There were a lot of classic cars there for a while. They would have been fun to sketch.

      Delete
  4. Excellent sketch as you always do, Joan. Yesterday was a perfect day for you to go out … I took a walk..I love walking but since my dog passed away, I don't like it as much...however, it is healthy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hilda. It was a good day to be out in the fresh air. I enjoyed it even though I didn't walk much.

      Delete