Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Arboretum Blooms

Since I was not at the rehab facility all day I had some time to sketch outdoors. I dropped off laundry for Jerry and was near the Bayard Cutting Arboretum. I had about an hour before it closed so I looked for something in bloom. This pink tree (I don't know the species.) had lovely little flowers and right around it there were hellebores in bloom too. It was a mild day so I sat there comfortably sketching until closing time. I did the sketches all on the same page which makes the hellebores look bigger than the blooms on the tree. I cropped it into two sections so it looks a bit better.




The corona virus is affecting other things here too. My sketch group that meets on Wednesday evening decided to cancel tonight and the NYC Urban Sketchers (as well as most of the Urban Sketching groups) are canceling their weekend sketch events. Luckily I don't mind sketching solo and often sketch from my mobile studio. I hope that you aren't affected too much. The virus seems to be spreading rather quickly so I guess curtailing exposure in groups is a sensible thing. Be careful out there!

2 comments:

  1. Washington's governor came out with a directive today prohibiting any events larger than 250 people (such as concerts and sports) and mandated many other restrictions on smaller groups. Schools, museums and other organizations announced closures today. Our USk group cancelled upcoming outings, and soon we'll cancel some 10x10 workshops, too. I'm guessing that other states will follow suit very soon. Stay well, Joan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joan, the sketches are so pretty. Always love the flowers.
    Our University of Texas baseball and other sports are being played but with no audiences. Gene was disappointed as his alma mater, New Mexico, is playing here this weekend. I feel sorry for hourly employees and those with no sick leave. Hopefully it will be controlled soon.

    ReplyDelete