Saturday, February 16, 2019

Armor at the Met

Today the NYC Urban Sketchers met at the Metropolitan Museum of Art to sketch in the Arms & Armor section. This is such a fun place to sketch with so many sketching possibilities. I started with one of the samurai warriors. The museum's policy about materials isn't really enforced in all areas and I have always been able to use any kind of medium in this section...probably because almost everything is behind glass. I used my Lamy pen, a Zebra Fine Line Brush Pen and a few assorted watercolor pencils.


After lunch I headed back to sketch another suit of armor. This one had a lot of detail to it. I liked the hearts by the elbows and knees. I also did a separate helmet since I had a little time left before our "show and tell."


9 comments:

  1. This looks like a cool show! And lucky that you got to use some color. I usually get away with watercolor pencils because from a distance it just looks like I'm holding a pencil! And then I usually go into the lobby to use a waterbrush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina. It is a really fun section to sketch. Usually that's what I do...wc pencils and water later.

      Delete
  2. Amazing sketches. Good for you for figuring out a way to use some color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My word these are so complicated I am sure that I would have been able to do half of one while you did all of them. Great job Joan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Val, lol, they were complicated. But I like a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Samurai Warrior must have been so fascinating to sketch, it has so much detail! I saw you at the Arms and Armor section but I had to leave early. Great to chat a bit with you that morning.

    ReplyDelete