Sunday, June 10, 2018

#30x30DirectWatercolor2018 - Day 10 - Garden Sketches

My very generous friend, Susan invited two of us to come and paint the peonies that were blooming in her garden...after breakfast at the diner. (We needed sustenance for painting.) This is 5 x 7 and was done for the #30x30DirectWatercolor2018 challenge. Peonies are hard because they are sort of shaped like a ball...but not like a ball, with crazy irregular petals...and lots of them. lol This probably took me nearly 2 hours.


When I finished the peonies I wanted to do a small direct watercolor of the foxgloves. My small sketchbook is square and the pages weren't long enough to fit everything so I did this one on the diagonal.


I posted a few of the black & white garden sketches for the Sayville Garden Tour the other day. Here are the sketches done for the other 3 gardens.

Garden 4

Garden 5

Garden 6


8 comments:

  1. Quite a feast for the eyes going over all that I missed in past couple of days. I love it all, but especially that water pump!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry, thank you for coming over and catching up. I'm glad you are enjoying these.

      Delete
  2. Ah Joan I so agree painting peonies is such a challenge. One that you did so well. Love your black and white sketches too. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Debbie. I think this is the first time I tried painting peonies. Have a great week.

      Delete
  3. These are wonderful Joan! The peonies and the foxglove are great - I saw my first ever foxglove last week - what a neat plant! I really like the B&W piece with the pump - very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Val. Aren't they interesting flowers?

      Delete
  4. Fabulous work with flowers Joan...... I tried so hard but at least I get a chuckle when I finish!!!!! Amazing leaves on the first piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hilda, they are really difficult...even harder than roses. Thanks!

      Delete