Monday, January 1, 2018

Saturday Morning

Saturday was a very cold day again, but I wanted to go to the city and meet up with the NYC Urban Sketchers. We had an indoor location, the National Museum of the American Indian. It is a nice museum in an old customs house near Battery Park. I went in by myself on the LIRR. Snow was predicted for later in the afternoon and it was another very cold day. There were a lot of people on the train going in...and many of them in my car seemed to be related to each other. I sketched this group that was across the aisle facing me.


Inside the museum I was attracted to these artifacts from the Kayapo territory. I'm not quite sure how this outfit is worn since there didn't seem to be any place to see out, but I loved the texture of it.


The museum building itself is gorgeous. I sat inside the rotunda to sketch part of it. It was so detailed and impossible to get much of it onto one sketchbook page. I started this before lunch and finished it when we came back from lunch.


Meanwhile it was snowing in the city...cold and snowy...maybe about 2 inches fell before it stopped.
More tomorrow.


4 comments:

  1. Dear Joan - great sketches to celebrate the coming New Year. It sounds like your weather was cold and snowy like ours. The architecture in the museum does look gorgeous. Take care and have a Happy New Year. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Debbie. It was great to get into the city again. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  2. I think you have managed to give us a super glimpse of the museum and the artifacts. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete