Monday, March 13, 2017

Sketching at the Turnstyle

The NYC Urban Sketchers met at the Turnstyle, an underground shopping and eating establishment located near Columbus Circle in Manhattan two Saturday's ago. It was a bitterly cold day...only 16 degrees when my friend, Susan and I left Long Island. The Turnstyle is located just after you exit the turnstyles at the subway exit for Columbus Circle near 8th Ave and 59th St. Unfortunately since the staircases leading up to the street are wide open, it was a bit cold down below too. We wore our coats the entire time we were sketching.

I sat in front of Lush Cosmetics to do my first sketch. They weren't open yet, but the sales people were busy stocking the shelves. They noticed that we were sketching and asked us to stop by and show them the finished sketches. They loved it and asked if they could take a photo for their Facebook page. I'll have to check and see if they posted it.


Next I moved over to Casa Toscana an Italian eatery. Everything looked so delicious!


By Suzette made savory and sweet crepes and was a colorful spot to sketch too.


Due to the cold weather we didn't have a great turnout of sketchers, but those of us who showed up had a great time.

8 comments:

  1. Lots of fun sketches here -- and love the one that includes your sketch kit!

    - Tina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina. It was a fun (if cold) sketching spot.

      Delete
  2. I think it looks fabulous, Joan - all of them. I so wish I could do this! I lose all sense of proportion and perspective when trying to draw live...for some reason. I do better just working out of my head! LoL Sounds like a fun day, but admittedly...the cold...brrrrr!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry, that is something I admire about you...you can work out of your head. I need something tangible in front of me. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Joan, these are so fun, like you had the time to do in colors. You are a hearty girl, neither sleet, cold, rain, nor snow can keep you from your sketching rounds. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nelvia, thanks. There isn't much that stops me.

      Delete
  4. Another great place to sketch - no fear of running out of matereial or something to eat - lol. Super pics Joan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val, there were good views, good food, and good people. Thanks.

      Delete